This project is read-only.

Known "state" for running with mono?

May 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Hello !

Mailsystem.Net looks very promising. I would like to give it a try,
if someone can probably confirm, that it runs on Linux with Mono.

Thanks anyway and best regards,

++mabra
May 31, 2014 at 1:00 AM
If you want a mail library that is guaranteed to work on Mono, I suggest using MailKit.

Most of its development is done on Mono and it supports S/MIME and OpenPGP even on Linux (something no other .NET mail library does).

MailSystem.NET, unfortunately, is very broken WRT rfc compliance. I've pointed out numerous problems in the forums and the problems haven't been fixed in the last 6 months since I ranted about them (to be fair, it seems like the project is mostly dead at this point, so that probably explains why).

MailKit's MIME parser (aka MimeKit) is almost 2 orders of magnitude faster than MailSystem.NET's parser and is a proper parser to boot - it's not a string.Split()/Regex/Substring monstrosity, but rather a proper tokenizing parser so you can be sure it is a lot more rfc compliant. The same goes for the IMAP implementation in MailKit.

It's just better in every possible way.

I wouldn't normally post this to another project's forum, but because MailSystem.NET seems like its a dead project, I figure I'm not likely to offend anyone.

Hope that helps and hopefully no one is offended.
May 31, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Hi !

Many thanks for your reply.

From a top-level-view, Mailsystem.Net looks perfect. But I was
primilarly interested in the WhoIs component, not mail ;-)

But probably, I'll need a mail-lib later. Then I'll keep your
recommendation!

Thank you very much,

Manfred